Pages

Monday, January 25, 2010

Come along on my pancake journey!

Have you ever visited The Pioneer Woman Cooks blog? Oh man her pictures are gorgeous and the way she chronicles her recipe journey makes it really easy to follow along.
Well, me and my dinky camera attempted a little journey with our pancakes today. While it is no comparison to the aforementioned author...I think it will help my friends who are hoping for pancake success!!!
So, come along on our Oatmeal Whole Wheat Pancake Journey! And, might I add my first try at blogging. More later on whys and whats of this blog....today I really really want to talk about pancakes. I call this a journey because I started the day wanting to make pancakes, did a bunch of research, altered some recipes, made 3 batches and now am giving you the outcome. So, it may not feel like a journey to you...but I am tired, and full of pancakes!

Hmmm would you want the recipe first or last? Well, since you can't really answer I will make the decision and post it at the end. So look for it there ok. (note to self...don't forget to put the recipe at the end!)

First thing you want to do to begin this fantastic journey is go to your pantry and grab the box of Bisquick that is in there and go throw it in the trash!!! I know you just spent money on it but really... it is yucky and no good for you. Ok... an alternative would be to donate your unopened box to a local pantry. I want you to know that I feel strongly about this....no mixes! You can make it from scratch! It will taste better and most likely cost less.

Ok the first thing (that propels the recipe forward) that you want to do is grab your quick cooking oats and measure out 2 Cups into the food processor. Pulse it for a bit until you have partially pulverized those oats. Don't slay them fully, just beat them up a bit.


Now, if you have a 2 cup liquid measure get that out and pour into it about 1/8 a cup of white vinegar. Listen, it is OK not to get out another measuring cup to measure this, just splash some in the bottom of the measuring cup, you are just going to be curdling milk with it and the proportions are not all that important.
I know there are some of you out there measuring...that's ok, I won't judge. I will tell you I put that measurement on purpose to delight or confuse you. Not everyone has an eighth cup measure and they are scrambling around in horror...what to do...what to do. I am not helping, don't ask. Just go google 1/8 cup to find out how many Tablespoons that is....if you truly feel the need to measure.
NEXT ~ add milk to the vinegar to equal 1 cup, and let it sit there and do strange things. The milk will do strange things, not you. I decided to go change out the laundry during this time.


When you come back after a bit you should have that curdled milk look going on. If you don't you probably didn't put enough vinegar and maybe you are one of those people who really should measure!
NEXT~ add water to make this a full 2 cups of liquid.
NEXT~ in a large mixing bowl combine the oats and the milk mixture, stir to combine fully and let this sit for 15 to 30 minutes depending on what else you have going on!

Meanwhile in a separate bowl combine your other dry ingredients and whisk them.

I choose to use this (new to me) white whole wheat flour. It is King Arthur Brand, and he seemed daring enough to go on this journey so I let him come along. He was worried about getting beat up but I assured him it was limited to the oats and the eggs.
So in this bowl is the wheat flour 3/4 cup plus 2T, as well as
2 T corn starch, 2 1/2 T sugar, 1 tsp. salt and some baking soda and baking powder....I can't remember how much right now, but it will be in the recipe below. (you could consider that foreshadowing if you wanted to, or laziness because I don't want to go get the recipe right now)
Ok, now whisk this together. And don't worry we aren't going back on our word to King Arthur it is just whisking not beating.

But speaking of beating....please at this point... do beat 2 eggs.
Completely. I just like how the photo looked with one partially done!

Can I just say at this point I am totally frustrated with how this blog lets you lay out pictures....ahhhhh it is wonky and not how I want it.
Deep Breath and back to the recipe.
NEXT~ add your eggs and vanilla to the milk/oats mixture. I think it should be obvious, but in case it isn't...you do have to stir.
Add the whisked dry ingredients to the large bowl of wet ingredients...uuhhh do I have to say stir here again? Ok, stir.
Melt 3 T butter and let it be known that once you add that in (and stir)... the ingredient part of this journey is done!
You may now stand back and give yourself a round of applause because you have just created a bowl of pancake batter that is full of goodness that will fill the tummies of those at your house with among other things....LOVE!!!

Ingredient list:
2 cups Quick cook Oats
1 cup buttermilk (or curdled milk)
1 cup water

3/4 cup plus 2 T. whole wheat flour
2 T. corn starch
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
2 1/2 T. sugar

2 eggs beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
3 T. butter or oil

Quick instructions.
Pulse oats in a food processor, then add them to the curdled milk/ water combo in a large bowl. Let this sit 15-25 minutes. Combine other dry ingredients in a separate bowl and whisk gently to combine. After time has passed add the dry ingredient mixture and the last three ingredients to the milk/oats mixture and stir until just combined. Cook on a griddle til golden brown. Enjoy!

Printable Recipe Here

There is really so much to say about cooking these lovely pancakes but that must wait until another day.

I must say because of all of this, I have one load of laundry yet to be washed.
Well, it will have to wait until tomorrow...otherwise known as the day the kids eat pancakes!!

7 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading this, Jennifer! I was laughing out loud at the Bisquick part and the milk doing strange things. One question - what do you do if you don't have a food processor? - Andrea (your neighbor)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK...I am glad our trip to the grocery store last night inspired you. I believe the conversation went something like this...

    Jen- "Tara why are you buying Bisquick?"
    Tara - "To make pancakes"
    Jen- "You don't need Bisquick you just need some flour, water and maybe a little butter!!"

    So now you are telling me to throw away, I mean donate, my new box of Bisquick. Now I have to go back to store to pick up King Authur...my kitchen might be a little less violent than your's.

    Great job!! This is going to be a fun blog to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, Andrea I think that the oatmeal would be just fine un-pulverized, but wanted to make it as kid friendly as possible. See how you like the texture and go from there!!

    Tara, yes you can make simpler pancakes. Plain old white flour, eggs, milk blah blah blah. I am trying to make life more exciting. Substitute whatever you have...white flour would be fine, just not as healthy...but far superior to Bisquick. King Arthur can visit your house some other time.
    (notice I did not call you out...YOU admitted it was you. HA!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. welcome to the world of blogging. i came thru Tara....i have know her for mumblemumble years & years! If you have a chance I would love for you to drop by my blog for a visit! enjoyed your 1st post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting your adventure with the pancakes, Jennifer. Justin and I love them, especially from scratch, so we'll visit your blog the next time we have a pancake party day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *gasp* A BLOG???? No WAAAAY! I'm excited to try your oatmeal pancake recipe! I think we'll like it better than the one I've been doing 'cause yours has (drum roll please) VANILLA!

    BISQUICK. -BLECH!!- I haven't EVER been able to eat that stuff. *shudder*

    In our house the milk/vinegar steps will be skipped; we'll just use straight buttermilk which we keep on hand and adore.... Opinions??

    P.S. 1/8 c. is 2 T. Yes, I do have it memorized.... SOME of us believe in MEASURING and are NOT ASHAMED TO SAY SO! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very excited to read your new blog! I love reading PW's cooking blog and now I can read yours too - and I can just "hear" your voice while I'm reading (which is great because it means I don't have to make up a voice for you AND it makes me laugh because I can just hear how you would be saying it as if you were in front of me, ya know?) Anyway, looking forward to more posts, and to trying these pancakes. I'm slowly trying more things from scratch for my family so this will be one to try!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, every single one just makes my day!!