Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

Worth it!

I find myself having a hard time beginning this particular blog. Each day you read, you just see one little tiny pinprick of my world. A post about pancakes may lead you to believe that I get up and make breakfast for my family daily. (which I don't) A post about soaking beans may have you believing that I would choose to never just cook them straight up for the sake of time. (which I would) A post about decadent cake may have you crying out "hypocrite" to my healthy leanings.

Just know this. I want to do the best I can for my family with the knowledge that I have. The more I learn, the better I can do. On the other hand....I do not want my family to feel deprived of fun foods. What it boils down to is this. I will not buy a box of hostess cupcakes, but I will make a homemade version with the best ingredients possible. Does that make sense?

And yes, I know sugar depresses the immune system. But if we are building it up in our other eating areas, drinking plenty of water, and staying active and fit; well then a treat keeps the depression from the family system. That is all I am gonna say about that today, but be forewarned there are plenty more lectures looming over the horizon.

NOW, Let Them Eat Cake!!!!

Cake!!! That is right, I got your attention didn't I. Not just any old cake mind you, it has been described in many ways around here. "Chocolate yummiest cake ever" by youngest child. Or "Cake Extravaganza" by middle child. Or, "I don't know, it's just like so like good, I don't know like what to like call it." Ha ha ha, I bet you can guess who that was.
We could not agree on a name (yet) but we did all agree that it was a totally amazing, new favorite, I want this for my birthday, can we pretend my birthday is tomorrow cake! So, go gather your ingredients and make out a guest list because you will not want to be alone with the leftovers of this cake in your house mocking you, calling out to you, whispering your name. I can speak from experience.



Let's start with the chocolate cake first...after all where else would we start. Someone from the back row screams...."Can you start with that chocolate drippy stuff on top?" That, my student of culinary greatness is called Ganache and it must wait until later so that it doesn't partially solidify, whereas you would have to eat it out of the bowl with a spoon. Not that I would do that. So start with the cake, ok.
I wanted double layers of everything good about this cake so I chose to use 2 round pans which I lined with Reynold's Release Foil. I totally love using this stuff and highly recommend it over greasing and flouring. Somehow with that system I always end up with the flour dumped on myself and the floor instead of neatly spread around the pan.
Here is the trick when working with the foil...turn your pans upside down.
The words on the foil as this point should look like a bit of a foreign language, backwards, mirror image...whatever you want to call it. You are making a nice little foil mold here. Why you ask? So you won't poke your fingers through the foil when you are trying to cram it into a space it doesn't want to go into naturally. (Yes, I have done that a few times. Trust me on this, do the mold thing.)

So, shape it around the pan, take it off, flip it over. Put the foil right side up into the right side up pan, you should be able to read the words! Your nice little mold should fit down snugly into the pan. I know all that sounds weird, but I bet you can figure it out!
. Pretty great right!
When your cakes come out of the oven, let them cool then peel them right out of this foil. It is truly miraculous. You are gonna love it!
I am trusting that you can get through this cake recipe on your own. It is so very very easy.
Check it out
Cake
Ingredients:
* 2 cups sugar
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
* 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
* 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 eggs, lightly beaten
* 1 cup milk
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or 1/4 cup oil+ 1/4 cup applesauce)
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1 cup boiling water

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. use Reynold's Release Foil, or Grease and flour two 9-inch round pans

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of electric mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter equally into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30-35 minutes for 2 round pans or until toothpick inserted comes out clean

You can do that right! By the way, this cake doesn't rise much. It is a moist compact delicious little cake. I think you will really like it.

Now on to the....
Vanilla Cream Filling

3 tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 cup milk (low fat is fine)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

This is the hard part of the recipe, but you can do this! Go and get your best whisk and a medium sauce pan. Oh, you also need the flour and milk.

Measure out 3T. flour and 1/2 cup milk into your saucepan. Turn on the heat to medium/low and whisk away. Do not for any reason stop whisking. Look at me in the face....I mean it....don't stop! This is your priority for the next few minutes. At first you can whisk slowly, but when the flour starts to thicken the milk give it all you've got. If you have mad skills (like me)...you will come away with a smooth, lovely mixture! But, if you are a culinary newbie and this is your first time at it...don't be discouraged if yours is a lumpy mess.
Try, try again. It is just flour and milk, come on, try again. This is very hard to get right. The original recipe actually calls for putting it thru a fine strainer to get out the lumps.
It should look something like this when you are done! Thick and smooth. If you get yours to this consistency and it has lumps then consider it a success and move on to the next step!
Pour this mixture into a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap and let it cool to room temp. (straining it, if you need to:)

Just a side note here. This particular technique can lead to great things in your life...one of which is homemade gravy. Did you know that gravy is a food group? What? No one ever told you that?
Well, we shall just have to cover that another day too!!


While the milk mixture is cooling, cream the butter and sugar together in a medium bowl until light.
Add in the milk/flour mixture and the vanilla extract and beat at high speed with an electric mixer for 7 minutes...

...until light and fluffy!!!

Whew, we have made it to the home stretch!!!
For the Ganache:
¼ cup heavy cream
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate (my favorite is ghiradelli dark chocolate chips)
1 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened

In a small saucepan heat cream over medium heat until steaming, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat, add the chocolate and let stand for 2 minutes. Stir until smooth adding the butter in small pieces until combined.


Personally, I heat both things in the microwave on very low heat just until the chips are soft, stir until they are combined, then add the butter. I am pretty sure I didn't measure this at 1/4 cup each...the important thing is equal parts chocolate and cream!
I must tell you, it looks pretty scary at first...like it is getting all separated and you might feel like crying...but if you have made it to this point then you made it past the hard whisking part, and you just need to hang in there 'cause you are almost to cake blissdom! I believe in you!!!
NEXT
Assemble the cake in layers of wonderfulness. Cake, cream filling, ganache.

deep dark chocolate cake, light and fluffy cream filling, smooth and dreamy ganache.

Yes, blissdom has been reached when the layers are finished. Wanna see it again, so you don't have to scroll all the way back up to the top? Ok here it is

I am telling you right now that this cake is worth the time and effort it takes to make it! You probably have all the ingredients on hand, all you need is a willing heart and hands. I just betcha if you make it you will get accolades beyond your wildest imagination! And really, who doesn't need more accolades? Am I right, or am I right?


I know I have posted everyday this week, but don't get used to that ok?! When I have time, or something is on my mind, or taste buds or my heart.....I will write. So until then, farewell and go make cake!

Printable Recipe

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness!!!! I have been looking at your blog all day, eagerly waiting to learn the knowledge of this chocolate-y taste buds treat! Thank you for putting the recipe on your blog. The picture of Shea with her birthday cake made my mouth water heavily. The next time I have a reason to serve more than two people dessert, I am visiting this post and getting busy in the kitchen. Thanks, Jen, for sharing your culinary wisdom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wwwwwow, yum. Looks DELICIOUS. SOUNDS delicious, too! Awesome going Jen! Lucky Shea....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, every single one just makes my day!!