Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Reys of Light

I gotta tell ya, I was feeling pretty down yesterday.
Not hopeless, or downtrodden.
Maybe weary is a better word.
Tired of all of the wheel spinning and uncertainty.

I needed to pack yesterday, but found myself dawdling as I ran the few errands that I needed to run. I just didn't want to come back to the house to see it in such disarray, or tape up another box of my stuff, til who knows when, or make any more phone calls to services needing to be added or canceled.
I suppose the worst part of that which I dread, is when the service agent asks, "When will you be in your new home?"
I just don't really have the answer for that at this point because I have no control in it at all and that is...
...it is
...well, it makes me weary, uncomfortable, unsettled.

Like a fish out of water.

Well maybe not that bad. hee hee hee

Oh, that shouldn't make me laugh but it does.

Now, please don't get me wrong here.
I am not talking about my joy being suffocated. I am just talking about regular human weariness as we wait for God to completely lay his path in our lives.

So, while I was out yesterday running those errands...by the way...at every stop I made yesterday (well besides Starbucks) there was a Brinks Security truck. Strange, but true.
That was so not a real sentence, but I am gonna leave it.
So, while I was out running those errands, I picked up some Sushi, so I could settle in to my phone calls and eat while I was on hold.
Sushi helps with weariness.
Of course I am making that up... you know this, right.

I had spoken with a fellow from AT&T the day before and came away feeling like I had made a trip to the dentist and we had pulled some teeth. He truly didn't seem the least bit concerned about the needs I specifically stated, or the price point I was attempting to stay at.
There is so much more I could say about that phone call, but none of it is nice so I will skip to my phone call back to the company the next day which I was dreading.

Frankly, I was calling to cancel all I had set up the day before. I had found a cheaper price and felt as though my time had been needlessly wasted by this fellow who seemed to have his own agenda.
I took a deep breath and dialed in.

I don't want to bore you with the whole conversation, or the details of the transaction.
What I want you to know is that when you are feeling weary, but you know that your security is in God, you gotta trust that he is following you around with a money truck.

Okay, let me try to say that differently.
I feel like I was given a gift yesterday when Rey answered the phone at AT&T.
It didn't take me long to figure out that this man was different. This man listened, he encouraged, he pushed and pulled numbers and services to best suit our family.
And all of this he did with an unmistakable gentleness and kindness which made his light evident.
I am talking about the light of Christ.
Rey had a glow about him. Yeah, I know I didn't actually see him, but none the less I know this to be true.
We were on the phone so long, that we got to chat about our families, our favorite christian music artists, the struggles of moving, and the blessings of life.

Rey ended by reminding me that God is in control, and that he too would be praying for an easy period of closing and moving.

Why do I feel so completely flabbergasted that God took the time to work out that little miracle in my life?
He takes the time to follow me around with his security truck, ready to rescue my weary soul, giving me energy and motivation to keep on keeping on when all I want to do is sit and eat chocolate ice cream with chocolate ganache stirred in.

This gave me a healthy reminder that we are representatives of the master in all that we do.
It reminded me to be a gentle encouraging light throughout my day, because there may be a weary brother or sister in need of a boost.

It reminded me of this verse...
Matthew 5:16
"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.


Rey, you did the Father proud yesterday, and I have a feeling today will be the same.
All the rest of you out there, lets shine some light today...okay?!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for informing your readers about our encouraging Brother Rey! It amazes me how simple kindness and sincere interest can shine Christ's light more than almost anything. The Spirit is awesome!

    Did you really eat sushi? For some reason, I find it hard to believe that you eat such disgusting (as far as texture, smell, and fishiness are concerned, not health) food? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why yes Nicoll, I do eat sushi. Let's talk about it more when you are not prego, okay?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, every single one just makes my day!!