Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Spicy Pumpkin Bread

Today was a self imposed marathon cooking day!

You see, we are going camping soon and I wanted to get some things made ahead of time.
By some things I of course mean food. I made chocolate chocolate chip cookies, and chocolate chip cookies, and trail mix and chicken soup, and I still have a roast simmering away in the crockpot for a beef stew!

If I am gonna be dragged kicking and screaming to a campsite then you better believe I will at least be enjoying the food portion of it.
Did I mention that I don't enjoy camping.
Well, I really didn't come here to talk about that but I may prove to have tales to tell after our trip.

I came here to talk about food, glorious food!!
Specifically Pumpkin Bread!!
Yes, that is the thing I forgot in the list above!
Mmmmm, spicy and moist pumpkin bread!!

But not this pumpkin bread!

I made this 2 weeks ago and wasn't totally digging it, so I decided to work on it again before presenting my version to you here.
Of course, since I was running a marathon today I took a total of zero pictures for your enjoyment.
Here take a moment to enjoy them all at once.....
















I have pushed and pulled on so many recipes that I really don't know who to give the credit to for my beginning place. The can of pumpkin puree, allrecipes.com, my foodie friend, and Starbucks copykat recipes are all places I gleaned information from.

I finally decided that I like it extra spicy and smooth as can be, so I left out oats and nuts and pumped up the spice works!

I hope you enjoy my version.
Click HERE for a printable of this recipe!

In an electric mixer or large bowl combine:

4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
1 cup oil

This is the course I took with the oil. I melted a half a stick of butter in a 1 cup pyrex cup, added 1/3 cup applesauce, and then filled in to the 1 cup line with my grapeseed oil.
I imagine you could use a full cup of canola oil just fine. So for you measurers....I suppose it would translate to something like this...
( 1/4 cup butter melted, 1/3 cup applesauce, 3oz. grapeseed oil)
2/3 cup orange juice
2 1/2 cups sugar

(2 cups cane sugar, 1/2 cup dark brown sugar)
You know me and my cane sugar! Again, I assume white sugar would be fine here, but don't quote me on that.

In a separate bowl combine:

3 3/4 cups flour
I decided to use a little bread flour to combat the heavy that the wheat adds...theory which seems to have worked, this is that break down...
(1 1/2 cups white wheat, 1 1/2 cups white, 3/4 cup bread flour)
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. salt
(used sea salt, use less if using table salt)
1 tsp. Allspice
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cloves


Add the dry to the wet and stir just until combined.

Bake at 350* for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

My best buddy Tara just came over and had a sample.
She said she would still like it to be even more spicy!
I told her to save a bit of the half a mini loaf I gave her, to taste it again tomorrow as it is also my theory that it spices up with time.
She looked at me like I was crazy and replied incredulously, "Save some for later???"
You see, Pumpkin Bread is her fave!!
I will make a decision about the spices as well after I have had another sample in a few days.

As for right now though, this is pushing my buttons just fine!!!

2 comments:

  1. Just a note here...
    My fun foodie friend had this great information for me about bread flour. "It is a hard winter wheat which makes products made with it sturdier and denser as in yeast breads that need gluten structure to trap gasses. Any white flour would lighten the whole wheat flour denseness."
    So, that said if we didn't use bread flour this would still turn out just fine as the white flour put in, balances the wheat. Or....that little bit of bread flour may be just what I wanted to have a nice stand up loaf? The world may never know....
    Well unless someone makes it that way and reports in!!
    Just some food for thought friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...so I ate the rest of my 1/2 of a mini pumpkin loaf before lunch today. It tasted the same to me...yummy, but not as pumpkiny as I prefer. You know not everything spices up with time...you are still the best cook I know!! Thanks for sharing a 1/2 of a mini loaf with me and encouraging me to save it for today. I enjoyed!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, every single one just makes my day!!