Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

Friday Photos

Negative space is important!
Oh, this made me think of something one of my art professors once said.
"Shadows are non existent realities"
That one statement made quite an impact on me...seeing as how I remember it some 20 years later.
When creating artwork, or photos for that matter, one must take into account those shadows and negative space as well.
Negative space is the space in and around the object itself.
It must be balanced in someway or your photo will be wonky!
The 2/3 rule is a great one to follow with design work.
Your object, or your negative space needs to take up 2/3 of the image.

The bottom third of this picture, (though it has the twisted piece of metal) is our negative space.
I should have saved my un-cropped picture so that this would make more sense.

Another good design tool is eye lines.
And I am not referring to wrinkles.
Our eyes follow a natural flow when looking at an image. We can choose to force the seer into where we want their eye to go. Does this sound like crazy talk??

Let's see if I can explain using this photo below.

See that one stalk at the bottom which curves over and meets the stalk running up?
This guides your eye to go there. It then runs up that stalk, over to the vein of the leaf in focus, all the way down that vein to the bottom of the picture and then back to the curve again. Your eye may jump around a bit too, but overall it will do what I am choosing to control you to do. If that stalk were not there, your eye would tend to just drop right off of the bottom of the page, instead of cycling back around, making you uncomfortable instead of at ease with the picture.

Hello...
...is anyone getting this?

Okay, moving on!

My son had just finished his breakfast downstairs in our home.
Yes, my children eat their breakfast in their parka type coats.
(Our bottom floor tends to run a good 12 degrees cooler than upstairs!!!)

He had just arrived upstairs to relax with a bit of television time, snuggled in his coat! I am not sure how he crammed his whole self in there, but it was pretty cute.

More photos tomorrow!! Pizza tutorial coming up later today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, every single one just makes my day!!