Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A rash vow

Do you recall the Old Testament story of Jephthah?
We came across it last night in our daily bible reading.
I actually hate to use the word daily, because it doesn't actually happen daily around here. The point is, we have committed (as a family) to read the bible through this year and we do it on the days we can and we forgive ourselves for the days we can't and try to keep up to date in the meantime.

Back to Jephthah.

The story is tragic beyond words!!
He was a mighty warrior who had the Spirit of the Lord with him as he went out to fight against the Ammonites in Judges 11.

Why, oh why did he make that crazy vow to the Lord beforehand?

Here, I will refresh your memory.
From Judges 11:30-31
And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord "If you give the Ammonites into my hands, whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites with be the Lord's....

That would have been an awesome vow...dedicating, redeeming or committing something or someone he loved to the Lord for service.
But, he didn't stop there.
He finished the vow with
...and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering."

WHAT???
Just who did he expect to come walking out of the door of his house?
Even if it was a servant...this would have still been unacceptable it seems!
Let's do remember that Mr. J was not spoken of directly as a righteous and holy man, but a warrior leader of a group of men whom he led about plundering the land. He was born the son of a prostitute and driven from his home.
Despite his back ground, upbringing or current status, it was a rash statement. But really, that is not at all what I came here to write about.

NO, I wanted us to think about his daughter.
You see, the person who was the first out of his door, dancing and celebrating to the sound of tambourines was his only child...a daughter.
When he saw her he tore his clothes and cried informing her of his vow, this was her response.

"My father, you have given your word to the Lord. Do to me just as you promised, now that the Lord has avenged you of your enemies, the Ammonites. But grant me this one request. Give me two months to roam the hills and weep with my friends, because I will never marry."

He accepted these terms.

She and her friends went into the hills.
Don't you know they wept and cried and mourned and fussed and wailed.
But, you know...you can only do those things for so long then acceptance sets in.
At some point do you think they began to pray?
Not a desperate prayer for deliverance, but a prayer for her to be steadfast and righteous.

And with those true and loyal friends, don't ya just bet that they spent some time with laughter on their lips and songs sung from their hearts.

Those friends of hers, I bet they ran the gambit of emotions with her and stayed to true to her desire to be submissive, even to the point of death.
Yes, I would like to imagine they went into the hills weeping but found with time that they could get past the anger and fear and hurt to laugh and pray and sing.
I picture them coming back down from the hills with different tears, don't you.
Tears of acceptance and grief.

Heavy sigh!!!

Man, my life is a cake walk!

3 comments:

  1. I've wrestled with that story for years. My way of thinking is that God holds human life more sacredly than a vow. With all His talk about how AWFUL it was that the Canaanites sacrificed their children to Molech ... I just can't help but think God would have forgiven the broken vow. Sacrifice to God the first non-human living thing that walks through your door. ~shaking my head~ As I said ... I wrestle.

    At any rate, thanks for the 'vision' from the perspective of the daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Sunny! God detested human sacrifice, period. He spoke out against it so many times. I think this is another arrow that points to how far God's people had gotten away from his commands for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me wonder why God didn't provide a sacrifice like he did for Isaac. The vow still would have been kept and both her and her father's faithfulness would have been proven.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, every single one just makes my day!!